Wednesday, May 25, 2011

WHEN DO YOU HAVE TIME TO WRITE?

The question I probably hear most often as a writer is "When do you have time to write?" This question is usually prompted by the fact that I am a very busy mom of five kids. Up until a few years ago, I would stay up late after my kids went to bed and write. Before that, when they were all very small, I'd get up in the middle of the night, work a few hours, and go back to bed. Lately, however, I've discovered that I can no longer get up at night, nor stay up late. By the time the last child finally crawls into bed, I am too exhausted to do much of anything. Is that's normal for a 40+ mommy. At least I hope so.

I have tried getting up earlier than my kids, another technique that used to be easy for me. Not anymore. That snooze button is just way to convenient.

So, when do I have time to write? I don't.

Fortunately, during all those years when I actually had spare time and energy, I managed to crank out nine complete manuscripts. During the past year, I've spent what time I do have revising and editing those manuscripts. I just finished the final revision for my novel coming out next spring with Tanglewood Press. Now I'm revising another book, which I intend to start submitting to publishers by summer's end.

While the work of revising a manuscript is indeed work, it does not require the same level of focus as the initial writing process. Writing a first draft, for me, requires large blocks of time every day, absolute silence, no disruptions of any kind, and intense mental exertion. Right now in my life, I just don't have any of that.

But I can revise a page or two while sitting in my car waiting to pick my kids up from school, watching, my son's swim lessons, or watching a little TV with my husband at night. I carry my manuscript and a pen everywhere I go: to the dentist office, to church activities, to the park. I make all my notes on paper, then spend a little time here and there making those corrections on the computer.

I am hoping that down the road a little, maybe when my youngest is old enough to go to pre-school, I'll have time to write again. Until then, between revisions and my kids, I've plenty to keep me busy.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a morning person, so dawn patrol doesn't work for me either. I do most of my butt in the chair writing after work in the late afternoon, but I'm jotting notes and ideas all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids are in school, and I don't have a day job, so thankfully I have the time to write. The trick is using that time wisely :D

    ReplyDelete