Friday, July 22, 2016

BOOK REVIEW: THE LIFE CHANGING MAGIC OF TIDYING UP by Marie Kondo

THE LIFE-CHANGING MAGIC OF TIDYING UP:
The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing
by Marie Kondo
Ten Speed Press

Despite constant efforts to declutter your home, do papers still accumulate like snowdrifts and clothes pile up like a tangled mess of noodles?

Japanese cleaning consultant Marie Kondo takes tidying to a whole new level, promising that if you properly simplify and organize your home once, you’ll never have to do it again. Most methods advocate a room-by-room or little-by-little approach, which doom you to pick away at your piles of stuff forever. The KonMari Method, with its revolutionary category-by-category system, leads to lasting results. In fact, none of Kondo’s clients have lapsed (and she still has a three-month waiting list).

With detailed guidance for determining which items in your house “spark joy” (and which don’t), this international bestseller featuring Tokyo’s newest lifestyle phenomenon will help you clear your clutter and enjoy the unique magic of a tidy home—and the calm, motivated mindset it can inspire.

MY REVIEW:

I admit it. My house is a disaster. Not that it was ever perfect, but once I started grad school 4 1/2 years ago and started working last year, I've really let things go to pot. It doesn't help that my husband "collects" things (he's an engineer, and all wives of engineers know what I mean--Piles, ladies! Piles!), plus we have eleven people living in our home. My home can be described in one word: CLUTTER.

So when a friend told me a bout Marie Kondo's method of cleaning house once and for all, I had to read it. And I loved it! Marie's system is simple, straight forward, and fail proof. I love her optimism, her spirituality, her confidence. By the time I finished the book, I couldn't wait to get started. Since I am so very busy, I have decided to dedicate every Friday to tidying a specific type of item. (Marie insists you tidy by item, not by room or area of the house). I started yesterday with clothing. I didn't touch my husband's stuff (though I was sorely tempted), but stuck to my own closet and that of my youngest son. We took three garbage bags full of clothes he's grown out of or that I haven't worn in years to Goodwill. My closet looks very empty, and I love it!

Next week I will tackle what is perhaps the most difficult item for me: BOOKS. I just may post an update to let you know how it goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment