But I like games, so I decided to play one here. Below is a list of ten first lines from some famous YA and children's books (all found on my personal bookshelf.) Your job is to match the first lines to the correct book. Just post your winning combination in the comments section (ie. 1A, 2B, 3C, etc.) And just to make this extra fun, if you get all ten correct, your name will included in a drawing for a
$5 AMAZON.COM GIFT CERTIFICATE!!!
But here's the catch...
This contest will only stay open until 10pm Pacific Time TODAY! (Saturday 8/18) That means your comment must be posted BEFORE 9pm (if you're in New York, you have until midnight, but you probably saw this a lot later in your day, so it's still fair.)
Also, please include your email address so I can contact you if you win!
Finally, I will increase the prize to $6 - yes a whopping dollar more! - if you include your favorite first line AND what book it's from in your comment.
Okay. Got all that?????
Ready? Here we go!
1. That fool of a fairy Lucinda did not intend to lay a curse on me.
2. The house stood on a slight rise just on the edge of the village.
3. I've watched through his eyes, I've listened through his ears, and I tell you he's the one.
4. First the colors. Then the humans. That's usually how I see things. Or at least, how I try.
5. "Did Mama sing every day?" asked Caleb.
6. Rain fell that night, a fine, whispering rain.
7. It was almost December, and Jonas was beginning to be frightened.
8. We went to the moon to have fun, but the moon turned out to completely suck.
9. There was a hand in the darkness, and it held a knife.
10. When I was little, my uncle Pete had a necktie with a porcupine painted on it.
A. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
B. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
C. The Giver by Lois Lowry
D. Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli
E. Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan
F. Inkheart by Cornelia Funke
G. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
H. The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
I. Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
J. Feed by M.T. Anderson