Friday, July 25, 2014

BOOK REVIEW: MY MOTHER WAS NUTS by Penny Marshall

MY MOTHER WAS NUTS
Penny Marshall
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Adult - Memoir


At the age of twenty-six, Penny Marshall was a divorced mother of one living in the Bronx. One year later she starred in a Head & Shoulders commercial (she was the one with the dandruff) with Farah Fawcett. So began the unlikely career of one of Hollywood’s most accomplished directors

My Mother Was Nuts tells the story of Marshall’s incredible life, from her starring role on the classic sitcom Laverne and Shirley to her trailblazing moment as the first woman to direct a movie grossing more than $100 million at the box office.

The book is a behind-the-scenes look at Hollywood life, exploring her friendships with John Belushi, Lorne Michaels, Art Garfunkel, and Carrie Fisher, her marriage and eventual divorce from Rob Reiner, and her experiences working with Tom Hanks, Robert De Niro, Robin Williams, Geena Davis, Denzel Washington, and Drew Barrymore.

MY REVIEW:

As a kid, I was a huge fan of the TV show Laverne & Shirley. Who wasn't? I also have loved many of Marshall's film including Big and A League of Their Own. I listened to Marshall's memoirs via Audible and thoroughly enjoyed it. Hearing the stories told in her own voice was entertaining and at time shocking. But she's honest and at times blunt about her experiences and choices, never making excuses or apologies, but just telling her life like it is--all with a whole lot of Penny Marshall humor. I laughed out loud throughout much of the book.



CONTENT RATING:

Profanity:  High
Violence:  Mild
Sexuality:  Moderate

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a book I would really enjoy. I was a huge L and S fan back in the day and I like that this is not only interesting, but funny. Thanks so much for sharing.
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! I've decided to invest in L&S DVDs so my kids can enjoy them.

      Delete