Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2014 BOOKS IN REVIEW

Every New Year's Eve, I post the best and worst books I read during the previous year, but I have to say that this year I didn't read any "bad" books. All the books were good, though some were much better than others. And I read more 5 star books in 2014 than in any other year. So overall, it's been great.

Having said that, there were a few books that were a little disappointing. Not bad, they just didn't quite live up to my expectations. So I'll start with those:

5. CROAK by Gina Damico
4. PAPER TOWNS by John Green
3. VENGEANCE by Megan Miranda
2. WHITE SPACE by Ilsa J. Bick
1. THE REPLACEMENT by Brenda Yovanoff

Now, once again let me reiterate that none of these were bad books. In facT, I liked them all. But these were books that I expected MORE from. For example, John Green? After reading and bawling my eyes out during THE FAULT IN OUR STARS, I thought everything he'd ever written has got to be, like, WOW! But alas, no. This book was a solid 3 stars, but nothing to rave about.

And I loved, loved, LOVED Megan Miranda's FRACTURE and HYSTERIA. (Read those books NOW!) But VENGEANCE? Not so much.

And I am completely torn over Ilsa's book. It was really very unique, creepy, wonderful! I actually loved it, BUT... it didn't make any sense!!! After 500+ pages I had no idea what was going on, and that was frustrating.

Okay, now for the BEST books I read in 2014. Here they are in order with links to my reviews:

#5:  Read my review HERE

The One and Only Ivan

#4: Read my review HERE

Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage

#3: Read my review HERE

Cress (Lunar Chronicles Series #3)

#2: Read my review HERE

Rose Under Fire

And drumroll, please....

#1: CODE NAME VERITY by Elizabeth Wein

Read my review HERE

Code Name Verity 

 A few other five star books worth noting include:

The Debt Collector by Susan Kaye Quinn
Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Lainie Taylor
Awakening of the Desert by Julius Birge
My Mother Was Nuts by Penny Marshall
Wool by Hugh Howey
The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey
Maus by Art Spiegelman
Citadel by Kate Moss
Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

My goal for 2014 was to read 50 books. I did that, but some of the books counted on Goodreads were picture books, so I don't really count those in my final tally, which ended up being 44 books. I also don't count the 2 dozen text books I read for school this year.

I hope in 2015 to meet that 50 book goal. What is your goal for next year, and what books are on the top of your TBR list?

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment